Monday, March 03, 2008

In Response

Jill recently blogged about an "easy" dessert she made. Her sister Tammy in turn tried the recipe with not so pretty results. (Sorry Tammy.) So Jill presented a baking challenge for others to try out this recipe. I am not one to shy away from a challenge so I had to put my hat in the ring. I made the dessert tonight and I have to say it turned out pretty well. However I do have a few comments to share concerning the feud over the recipe...

1. Meringue IS NOT easy to work with. I was not originally planning on trying this recipe for that fact alone. It is messy and sticky and tough to get just right.
2.Wax paper does work. I had no parchment paper and no intention of buying any so I used wax paper and it worked fine.
3. The whole flipping the meringue back and forth between sheets of paper is too much for me. I used a spatula to loosen the meringue around the edges, smeared on the whipped cream and rolled it up on the original piece of paper.
4. I love blueberries & I LOVE chocolate, but they don't really go together...Maybe raspberries & chocolate? I ate mine without the chocolate tonight.
5. Those things being said in Tammy's favor, I do have to say that the recipe itself IS really pretty easy. Very few ingredients, fairly simple instructions and tasty results.

So that being said, I have to side with....both Jill and Tammy on this one. You both have valid points. I think I'd make a great politician!

6 comments:

jilldaisbrenne said...

Wow... I'm so proud of you and it looks absolutely perfect! Well done. (I'm only slightly offended at the point of you partially siding with Tammy - but I'll get over it!). And come on blueberries and chocolate... of course it works!! love ya

Tammy said...

You're awesome!! (...and not to mention diplomatic as well!)


I knew wax paper would work...

Anonymous said...

I am impressed with your effort.
working with meringue is somewhat like workng with phyllo dough -- it almost dissolves in your hands.
You get the Martha Stewart award!

Josie said...

Mmmm...phyllo dough... Sorry, off-track. Blueberries. Chocolate. Can't we all just get along? Where were you when I was putting together a cookbook last fall?

jilldaisbrenne said...

Really, wax paper works? I've used it before in the oven - not knowing a difference- and it melted into the food.

Truthfully, I don't know what everyone's objection to parchment paper is... it is really lovely stuff! :-)

Anonymous said...

Use raspberry mixed with sugar instead of chocolate, tasted good.