Friday, April 25, 2008

Arts & Crafts Time!

If you are anything like me, you have a spot in your cupboard full of old vases. Vases from flowers your husband sent you or vases from flowers you bought yourself. There is one or maybe two that you use occasionally to put fresh flowers in but the rest just sit there. You feel too bad to throw them away, yet you don't really have any purpose for them. Well, it is time to put those vases to use!
First, pick out which ones are you favorite. You know some are just plain ugly, but there are probably a couple that have a nice look to them. Give them a good wash & dry.
Next, make a trip to Michaels. You need to pick up supplies for painting glass. A surface conditioner, the colors of paint you like and a glaze. Make sure they are specifically for glass, not acrylic. Acrylic paint will peel off the glass. This Delta brand I bought is neatly labeled Step 1, 2 and 3. Clever. They were $2.99 a bottle.
First, brush on a coat of the conditioner and let dry. Now figure out how you want your vases painted. I went with red and brown blended together. The largest vase is red on top blending into brown. The middle vase is opposite. The pudgy vase is red in the middle blending out to brown. (I know these look a little pinkish/purplish in this picture, but trust me they're not.) After they are completely dry, brush with a coat of the glaze. This is one thing I would change about my vases. I chose a gloss glaze, I think I would like the satin glaze better. Let dry completely.
Viola! You now have your own super cool vases you can display anywhere in your house. My total cost was $12.74. My entertainment for a couple hours on a rainy day: Priceless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty Kristi!! You did a good job. Such talent.