Thursday, May 22, 2008

A thing of beauty

I made buns yesterday. You know the kind...stirring giant amounts of flour (16 cups), yeast, sugar, oil, all of the essential food groups...in a huge bowl. Let it rise, punch it down, let it rise, form the buns, let it rise, bake them. It takes me all day to do this. I'm pretty sure when my mom & grandma do this they are done by noon. But me, I take all day. Anyway, towards the end of the bun making I start thinking about the rolls I get to make with this delicious dough. Normally I only make 1 kind, but yesterday I decided on 2. Oh my. Big mistake. Big, delicious, my ass is growing as we speak kind of mistake. I made caramel rolls and sweet rolls. Both turned out very tasty, but the sweet rolls in particular looked really good. As in, I needed to take a picture of them good.
Here is my tasty creation...Now these aren't your run of the mill cinnamon rolls. I make them how my mom makes the. Yes they contain your obligatory butter and cinnamon. But here is the secret ingredient...peanut butter. You slather a generous helping of PB all over that delicious dough before you roll them up. UGH! So. Darn. Good. I think they're better with chunky PB but I only had creamy yesterday. Oh well, I guess I'll inhale them anyway.

7 comments:

Allee said...

You amaze me.

I make the kind that you separate and put in a pan and cook in the oven. They are good, but I have a sneaky feeling that your buns are better! How convient that I am seeing you tonight. I'll bring some tupperware.

Anonymous said...

I see another Martha Stewart coming!! I think you just have too much time on your hands!!

Anonymous said...

She cooks, she cleans, she does home repair!!! As always -- I'm amazed!!! They look delicious!!!!
Laurel

Danette said...

GREAT! Now Ryan is going to check your blog and wonder why I never make sweet rolls from scratch for my family! They sound and look lip smakin' and finger lickin'! What a clever idea to put peanut butter in them...that makes them very healthful... the protein and all.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kristi, I am so proud of you. Those looks so good. I wish I were there to help taste. Good job and I know they are just as good as mine.
Love U

Lisa said...

Can I just say...how do you do it? Oh wait.....Aidyn and Nolan can play on their own now, walk, talk, pee, etc......Someday I'll may have time to do that again! So.....see you in about an hour than for afternoon tea and rolls?
Love ya!
Lisa

jilldaisbrenne said...

It really is a thing a beauty.

And between this roll and talking about the french onion dip this afternoon with you, I'm now craving both.... not together of course, I'm pregnant, yes... but hormones haven't totally wrecked havoc on my tastebuds!