Monday, July 07, 2008

Bye-bye bush

Notice: My before & after picture taking skills are a bit lacking so you'll have to use you imagination a little...

See that lilac bush in front of our house? (the bush to the right of the door) I've been contemplating taking it out for 3 years. Every year it grows around 2-3 feet and every fall I cut it back 2-3 feet. Last fall I cut A LOT off and then this spring, yep, you guessed it, it grew back like crazy!
This spring it was pushed up against the wall to the right, hanging WAY over the sidewalk to the left, hanging onto the porch in the back and up to the gutters above it. It completely blocked the view of our front door, you could only see the far left of the door. Well, I'd had it with that bush. So I grabbed the clippers and the ax and cut it down. Here is what remained.
(Now this doesn't do it justice because if you look back to that first picture, you will see that it was filled in with rocks underneath. Jeff and I worked for 2 nights digging and hauling all those darn rocks out.)
So after we got all the rocks out, we had to dig the stump out. Saturday morning we dug & chopped & cut & pulled and VIOLA! Out came the stump!
Here it is before (minus the gigantic spring growth).
Here it is after!
It's almost like it never existed. I'm going to plant some perennials in that spot this fall and add some color to the front of our house. And now you can see our front door!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job Kristi and Jeff. I know now whom to call when I need landscaping help. Be prepared.

Sweeney said...

I had no idea there was a "porch" on your house, weird. PS...Jeff is in serious need of a chainsaw and a real shovel. Then again, some strategically placed dynamite would've done the trick.

jilldaisbrenne said...

Fun... now you a new space to design and plant!

Lisa said...

Looks great!!! Got any extra help for me? I need selling help!